Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday Music

I dunno about you, but my music collection has historically been very dude-centric. The ladies, they are not well-represented in music. Not as anything but singers. And they get flack even for that. I can't even count the times I've heard, "I just like men's voices better", "it's just harder to make a woman's voice sound good", etc.* And I know I'm not the only one who's heard that shit thanks to Silvana's post over at Tiger Beatdown.

Fortunately, this has been the Year of Ladyrock** for me, totally without any trying on my part. In no particular order, here's the music I'm listening to these days:

  • Robyn: Fembot.
  • Amanda Palmer: Astronaut. I don't know what is up with her eyebrows, but I like it.
  • Fever Ray: If I Had a Heart. Cannot stop listening to this and "When I Grow Up".
  • Janelle Monae: Tightrope.
  • Adele: Rolling in the Deep. I'm sure you've all heard this since it's number 1 right now, but still had to mention it.

Happy listening, y'all.



*In fact, I was not allowed to sing in my natural range as a kid. These days? I hit every note flat.

**Granted, most of these tracks didn't even come out this year. I'm not the most up-to-date music reviewer.

3 comments:

  1. I have been obsessed with Amanda Palmer for YEARS! She is my biggest girl crush and I only wish I had known about her when I was single and dating assholes.

    I also love how all these women are turning conventional beauty on its head while still managing to be totally hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked Jill Sobule. I was first introduced to her in middle school with "I Kissed a Girl" (nothing to do with the Katy Perry song) and then her satirical ditty from Clueless, "Supermodel." On her Pink Pearl album, she sings about an interesting array of topics: Alzheimer's, eating disorder, Mary Kary Letourneau, plus some more run of the mill topics (i.e. love) but in unique ways.

    A friend of mine is pretty excited about Beth Ditto. Sadly, I've been a little slow and haven't taken the time to get acquainted with her. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth Ditto is fabulous. I particularly like "Heavy Cross": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQVljB7JGw

    ReplyDelete