Friday, May 6, 2011

Chat excerpt: BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR ART?!?!

So, the two of us decided that we needed to start this blog for a reason, and that's because we spend a lot of time talking about feminism and feminist issues. Occasionally, the conversation seems like something that COULD be turned into a post. Or, you know, we could just give it to you straight. Plus, it's Friday.

***
Kyrie:
Sorry if this is a nonsequitur, but it reminds me strongly of people's reactions to Julian Assange/Roman Polanski being prosecuted for rape.

Jess: I went on a podcast to argue with this dude about how fucked up the "well Roman Polanksi's made great movies" defense was.

Kyrie: He can make art in prison.

Jess: Exactly. I loved Chinatown, too. Doesn't mean he didn't drug and rape a 13 year old girl. Jesus.

My podcaster friend was all "But if you thought your trial wasn't going well, you'd flee the country too!"

To which I responded, "... no. I wouldn't."

I mean, honestly, we do have an appeals process

Kyrie: And if I'd done something that horrible, I hope I'd be woman enough to face the consequences of my own crimes.

Jess: BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR ART?!?!

People have trouble with "I like what this guy made but hate what he did"

Same with Julian Assange

Kyrie: Yeah.

That whole thing just makes me sad.

Jess: Me too. It broke my heart when Naomi Wolf went to the dark side.

Kyrie: I know!

As far as I'm concerned, her feminist card has been revoked.

Jess: Made me want to burn my copy of The Beauty Myth. If I could find it.

Yup

Kyrie: Mine's digital.

Jess: Aw, sad, harder to burn

Kyrie: Well, you can burn it, just means something different.

Computer puns!

No comments:

Post a Comment